[Agroforestry] Re: Use of Lombardy poplars

Will Anderson will at drumin.com
Wed Sep 21 15:57:18 EST 2005

How about

http://www.rfs.org.uk/thirdlevel.asp?ThirdLevel=196&SecondLevel=35

gives you a potted history of poplars in UK.

Large areas of plantation were owned at one time by Bryant & May for
matchstick production but they went out of business (in UK) a few
decades ago.

Much planting (as with much forestry!?!) is based on possible future or
niche uses. It can be used for pulp, box manufacture and many other
things. I know of one forester who is selling it for coffin manufacture!

In some cases it is planted on wet agricultural ground for shelter or
windbreak purposes. Often with embarrassing future consequences when it
blows over.

There is interest in it now in use for energy crops, like willow, if
grown on a short rotation, primarily because it is robust (if a
selectively bred clone is used) and a good volume producer.

A very good summary can be found in FC Bulletin 92 by J. Jobling. He has
a good comment "As with all special purpose woods, a use does not
necessarily imply the existence of a market"!

Regards

Will

In article <dgrt2j$2ab$1 at gemini.csx.cam.ac.uk>, Nick Maclaren
<nmm1 at cus.cam.ac.uk> writes