[Agroforestry] Re: Use of Lombardy poplars

Will Anderson will at drumin*.com
Thu Sep 22 16:14:45 EST 2005

In article <dgtpuc$4q$1 at gemini.csx.cam.ac.uk>, Nick Maclaren
<nmm1 at cus.cam.ac.uk> writes
>As with the trash softwoods of much of the
>UK's moorland, you are doing well if you cover even the costs!

Hmm - Don't start me on that old chestnut! ;-)

>That is just plain bonkers.  It is unsuitable for burning in open
>fires, and the UK is showing no signs of setting up power stations
>to use such fuels.  Even if they were to be viable here, which is
>very doubtful, and Norfolk reed were not a rather better crop for
>the purpose on similar land!

I have burnt it in a woodburner but it has to have been well air dried
and then it behaves like any other wood in a woodburner! Most people who
try to burn poplar in an open fire don't dry it for long enough.
Although I would prefer other species it can be used as firewood, after
all, they make matches with it! ;-)

try

http://www.forestresearch.gov.uk/website/forestresearch.nsf/ByUnique/INFD
-66ZF3L

or just google for woodfuel on the UK pages, you might be surprised.
There is a lot of effort going in to getting the same level of
government support for biomass power as is currently given for, say,
wind.

I agree that pure power generation is difficult to support but where
these plants come into their own is in developments where they can
produce combined heat and power. Co-firing in conventional power
stations is also being looked at but is limited by lack of renewables
support for this use by Gov. at present.

There is one proposal for a CHP plant in north Scotland which - if it
gets off the ground - would use up to 150,000t/annum of timber. Albeit
trash softwood and not poplar! ;-)

Cheers

Will

--