[Agroforestry] horselogging

LenihSim at aol.com LenihSim at aol.com
Thu Jun 29 13:54:23 EST 2006

hi all,
          i have  noticed some posts about selective logging in bc coastal
forests using  horsepower. we are a full time commercial horselogging outfit
from ireland  currently working in cumbria. we came to cumbria to do selective
logging on very  steep ground [45degrees+] for the national trust / national
parks/ woodland  trust. some of the timber in these stands was large diameter
douglas fir and  european larch which was planted at the turn of the century.
horses have always  worked steep ground in the past and it is no different for us
today. a horse can  zig/ zag up a steep hill rather than going straight up,
you can use the horse to  pull the trees down should they get caught up, you
can also extract the tree  without snedding it and this acts as a brake. in
really steep ground you can fit  a rigid set of shafts which stops the tree
running up on the horse. horselogging  might not be the fastest method of timber
extraction but it is definitly the  most enviromentaly friendly and seeing that
the only other method of doing  selective logging on steep slopes is a
helicopter i believe it would also be  more cost effective.
simon lenihan.