[Agroforestry] horselogging

Gary Williams mycos at shaw.ca
Fri Jun 30 00:47:43 EST 2006

Simon,
While in Nanaimo (Van. Island, BC), back around '92 or thereabouts, I
knew a fellow who worked with Erickson Air-Crane. They were working
regularly back then, although it seems I remember the fellow saying
something about the company reconsidering their presence on the Island.
  I wish I knew some specifics regarding costs associated with selective
logging using air-cranes, but what the numbers were I've since
forgotten....if I ever heard any at all <g>.
However, I would think the margin fairly thin if they had to restrict
themselves to the old-growth timber of the Island rainforest's. Otoh,
the crew all made /huge/ money, so either the speed with which the crane
can deliver makes up the difference, or it really isn't as expensive to
fly as one would think. The number of middle-men that can be bypassed on
the way to the mill (or barge) must make a big difference to the bottom
line as well.

Gary Williams