[Agroforestry] Re: Tree Farms and Truffle Trees

dwheeler from ipns.com via ag-forst%40net.bio.net (by dwheeler from ipns.com)
Sat Dec 20 14:10:07 EST 2008

On Dec 7, 3:57 pm, MrBDDec... from aol.com wrote:
> Dear Mr. David Wheeler:
>
> I just read your article on, "Tree Farms and Truffle Trees" of Sunday,
> February 22, 1998.  Since that was ten years ago, I do not know if this  email
> shall reach you.  I did find that the link to _www.oregonwhitetruffles.com_
> (http://www.oregonwhitetruffles.com)  was no  longer a good link.
>
> My interest is in the cultivation of edible truffles in Idaho and wish to
> know if you are still involved in this field.
>
> Please let me know if you might be able to point me in the right direction
> towards this effort or be able to help.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Bruce Decker
Hi Bruce.

I closed the website after contracting MRSA in 2006. Wasn't sure if
bacterium could be spread at that time, so erred on the save side.

Have now been "cured" of MRSA, and retired from my full-time job at
The Oregonian Publishing Company.

While I would still consider truffle inoculation, I'm not sure that
your area would be appropriate. Truffles in Oregon are typically found
under 1,000 feet elevation, mostly with Douglas fir. Much of Idaho
(all of it?) is higher. Alexander Smith made many collections of
truffles in Idaho, but I'm not sure that any of the truffles I have
cultivated (except the Rhizopogons) have been reported from Idaho.

I appreciate your interest, but suspect any inoculation would not be
successful unless you were under 1,000 feet in elevation.

Daniel B. Wheeler