[Agroforestry] Re: Can you identify this Quercus?

Davo via ag-forst%40net.bio.net (by jeepcobra from gmail.com)
Tue May 6 07:27:28 EST 2008

On Apr 19, 8:38 am, Paul Elliott <pelli... from hrnowl.lug.local> wrote:
> Can you identify this Quercus?
>
> http://www.io.com/~pelliott/pme/tree/tree.jpghttp://www.io.com/~pelliott/pme/tree/tree_rev.jpg
>
> I know that species boundaries in oaks are not sharp, but
> can I get an approximate identification of this tree?
>
> The tree was planted by a Squirrel.
>
> The trees leaves are being eaten! I am already spraying
> with soapy water. What else can I do?
>
> Thank You.
>
> --
> Paul Elliott                       1(512)837-1096
> pelli... from io.com                    PMB 181, 11900 Metric Blvd Suite Jhttp://www.io.com/~pelliott/pme/  Austin TX 78758-3117

It would appear to be either a Northern Red Oak, or a Shumard Oak.
A better photo of one good leaf would be helpful, as well as a photo
of the bark. The Northern Red lives from Maine to Wisconsin to Georgia
(not to mention Canada). Shumard runs from the mid-atlantic to the
gulf coast and as far west as Texas.