[Agroforestry] habitat fragmentation management through agroforestry

Nigel Austin via ag-forst%40net.bio.net (by naustin3 from hotmail.com)
Mon Oct 19 21:38:24 EST 2009

Hello Juan=2C

=20

Some necessary background research may be necessary in order to adequately =
negate the effects of fragmentation. The greatest consequences of fragmenta=
tion are geographic isolation=2C reduced population size and restricted gen=
e flow=3B the results of which are usually lowered genetic diversity and ge=
netic drift which may lead to genetic erosion. Negating these effects using=
 agroforestry is one way to solve this problem.=20

=20

However some important background information may be necessary. Is the frag=
mented species in question a natural inbreeder or out breeder? What is the =
pollination syndrome of the species? What is the extent of pollen and seed =
dispersal? Are the other plants in the agroforestry system creating a suita=
ble habitat to facilitate pollinators between fragments. What is the curren=
t state of genetic diversity and divergence present in the patches? Would i=
ncreasing population size by introduction of new individuals/seeds be more =
effective instead of trying to bridge populations?

=20

I believe that answering some of these questions are important. It may not =
make a lot of sense bridging two fragments if they contain and maintain the=
 same level of diversity or use an agroforestry system that may be unfriend=
ly to your pollinator(s).

=20

Regards=2C

Nigel=20

"A man's ethical behaviour should be based effectually on sympathy=2C educa=
tion=2C and social ties and needs=3B no religious basis is necessary. Man w=
ould indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishme=
nt and hope of reward after death."=20
-Albert Einstein

=20

> From: gast7 from vub.ac.be
> Date: Mon=2C 19 Oct 2009 15:08:53 +0200
> To: ag-forst from magpie.bio.indiana.edu
> Subject: [Agroforestry] habitat fragmentation management through agrofore=
stry
>=20
> Hi
>=20
> Does anyone know how to approch a resarch study on how agroforestry=20
> could stop habitat fragmentation? or=2C How agrofrestry corridors could b=
e=20
> use to connect fragmented patches? Any information would be helpful!!!
>=20
> Thank you
>=20
> Juan Durango