[Agroforestry] Re: Quabbin forest massacre

mhagen via ag-forst%40net.bio.net (by mhagen from olympus.net)
Fri Feb 5 19:56:22 EST 2010

Joe wrote:
> However, the author was advised by several foresters including me- so it
> isn't just about aesthetics. A lot of foresters don't like clearcutting-
> especially on public forests.
> Joe
>

> "Chris Stone" <stoneforestry from gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:2fe51ad4-969a-4208-9863-46b8ecab64fb from z41g2000yqz.googlegroups.com...
> On Feb 1, 7:16 pm, "Joe" <j... from invalid.invalid> wrote:
>> www.maforests.org/QUABBIN.pdf
>
> I know the document is supposed to be a condemnation, but there are
> several examples of excellent forestry there.  I especially like the
> Bing shots of the group selection harvest.
>
> It's easy to guess what the author doesn't like about what he chose to
> take pictures of, but that's clearly a simple dislike of timber
> harvesting.  What is troubling is that it is represented as a
> "massacre" in this group.  Even a simple disagreement with the concept
> of larger openings, whether group/patch selection or even-aged
> removals wouldn't seem to merit anything other than a reasonable
> debate between professionals on the issues.  Offering simple
> photographs is simply a means to begin discussion on aesthetics,
> nothing more.

However, starting over fresh- via a sanitation harvest, rehab or
whatever you call it locally is a recognized answer to exotic species
infestations, even on public forests. Was this not the reason for this?
Mike