ageing rates in different species

Sullivan sullivan at
Mon Jul 29 12:31:50 EST 1991

In article <176612 at>, hoopes at (Laura L. M. Hoopes) writes:
|> Since the field of gerontology really lacks a consensus on this issue, I'll
|> just give you my view and hope that others out there will post theirs.	I
|> view different ageing rates as differences in the protective/repair capaciti
|> es of different organisms, as determined by their genetic capabilities. The
|> process of ageing itself seems to me to be merely an expression of the secon
|> d law of thermodynamics, but the defenses against this onslaught of the
|> universe are tremendously variable between organisms.  Because I am a molec
|> ular biologist, I tend to think most about DNA repair but my mental image of
|> the process of ageing and organismic defenses encompasses organismal respons
|> es, neuroendocrine responses, cellular responses, organellar responses, and
|> autonomous ageing clock, but I am not really convinced that such exists.
|> Laura Hoopes

	One celled animals devide and I assume age (do they?).  Obviously
	they do not (at least they all do not) or they'd die out
	as a species.  Presumable, one celled animals have the same
	onslaughts as human cells face from the environment.  Why, if
	one celled animals do not age, do human cells?

	sullivan at