silence is not golden

John Otto otto at fsu1.cc.fsu.edu
Wed Jul 17 16:49:25 EST 1991

In article <175714 at tiger.oxy.edu>, hoopes at oxy.edu (Laura L. M. Hoopes) writes...
>I assume you all saw the note from the management re the probable
>demise of thie group due to low traffic.  Yet, when I posted a couple
>of things on it, I received 5-6 answers each through e-mail...many
>of which wanted to know if the group is always this inactive.  Yes,

I had been waiting until I had a better idea of the tone and subject
matter.  The few postings I've seen have been beyond my level of expertise.

I became interested in the biochemistry of aging because of a recurring
nightmare I had as a child that my father would become old (through the
doings of some nefarious outlaws B-) and I would have the key to stop them
but be unable to use it.  Interest was rekindled a few years ago when I was
a member of the AAAS (through reading their journal), and with the
publication of the Pearson and Shaw book.

I've checked some of their references in the journals and they are legit,
but I still get the impression from their writing style & appearances as
well as from disparaging references to them in the writings of others, that
they are not very well accepted.

Most of the molecular biology I've seen carried out here at FSU centers
on DNA itself (in which I have little direct interest) and the immune
system.  The U's one center for the study of aging is concerned with social
and psychological issues.

Could anyone refer me to other writings to help balance and extend what
little information I have?

John G. Otto   jgo at fsu.bitnet   jgo at rai.cc.fsu.edu