Ageing as an evolutionary force.

Donald A. Lehn donnel at helix.nih.gov
Wed Apr 15 15:46:21 EST 1992

I've been reading the posts on this subject and would like to pose a
question?

Why does ageing necessarily have anything to do with DNA damage?  Not
all of the information content of DNA is contained in the nucleotide
sequence.  It may also be likely that ageing is due to a disruption of
chromatin structure.  Perhaps even with something like when a gene
is replicated in mitosis.  I think ageing is a far more complex than
can be described in narrow terms.

--
Donald A. Lehn, Ph.D.                      Phone: (301) 496-2885
Bldg.37 Rm 3D20                            FAX:   (301) 496-8419
National Cancer Institute / NIH            Email: donnel at helix.nih.gov
Bethesda MD 20892