Why does calorie restriction reduce the rate of aging?

Peter C. Macko macko at pilot.njin.net
Wed Aug 26 09:50:50 EST 1992

 bradbury at sftwks.UUCP (Robert Bradbury) writes:

>When one discusses aging one has to start with some facts (animals fed less
>live longer than those fed more), propose a theory which is consistent

  Have there been any studies that have varied the sources of the
calories fed to CR animals?

>with natural selection (one would want to survive times when food is
>scarce and most animals in the wild do not live to reach "old age") and
>then look for biochemical explanations which connect the two.  I would
>do the same thing *if* caloric excess led to longer lifespan but it
>doesn't.  Animals who have lots of food on an ongoing basis would evolve
>not a longer lifespan but faster growth and increased reproductive capacity
>because that is what would increase the genes of those individuals in
>the gene pool.  In fact natural selection works against this because
>species which over-reproduce exhaust their food resources leading to
>population crashes and possible extinction.

  Is there any measurable difference in the metabolic rates of CR animals
and animals on a "normal diet" throughout different points in their
lifespans before the normal diet animals reach "old age"?  Are youthful
animals on a normal diet more energetic  then those on a restricted diet?
At what point in life, if any, does this get reversed?  Should the CR diet
start later in the animal's life, does it have the same, somewhat reduced,
or no impact at all?

  Please excuse my questions if they sound somewhat rudimentary.  This is
not my area of expertise, but I do find this topic fascinating nonetheless.
So if there are any good scientific references on this subject and the
studies done to date please recommend them.

					    -PCM

  Peter C. Macko                      Internet: macko at pilot.njin.net
  LCSR/Network Research                         macko at cs.rutgers.edu
  Telecommunications/Network Services     UUCP: {backbone}!rutgers!cs!macko
  Rutgers Computing Services,  Rutgers University (Piscataway, NJ)