Thanks for making the newsgroop alive

Robert Bradbury bradbury at sftwks.UUCP
Mon Aug 24 19:30:07 EST 1992

In article <1992Aug23.121006.1 at abo.fi> lagbok at abo.fi writes:

>I am living in a cold climate here in Finland and people seem to live
>to a fairly old age, my grandmother lived over 90 years. She was of the
>turtle type of humans though. Also I believe pople living in cool
>temperatures are more receptable to viruses like arthtitis (English is
>not my strong side... how is that spelled? - anyway) staying warm
>is probably healthier but maybe shortens lifespan? Any comments on that?

Your core temperature is fairly closely regulated and does not vary much with
environmental conditions.  One could argue that cold temperatures will
require excess food/O2 consuption to generate the heat required to
prevent freezing but given the small amount of time most people actually
spend wandering around unclothed in temperatures < 20 deg C I'm not sure
it would make that much difference.  Arthritis is not to my knowledge
caused by viruses.  It is I think an auto-immune disease caused by your
immune system attacking your joints, perhaps because they are displaying
"aged"(mutated?)/oxidized/glycosylated "foreign" proteins.  If cold
temperatures are viewed as stressful or increase glucocorticoid
secretion to stay warm they could diminish the capacity of the immune
system allowing your body to be more receptive to viruses.
(GC are known to reduce immune system function).

>In a worm-farm here where they were raising worms for fishing purposes
>they found out that worms could live doubble the normal lifespan if
>food was given only every seccond day instead of every day like normal.
>How was that possible? Is that calorie restriction that is working. Worms
>do not have any temperature of their own either.

Sounds like CR to me.  Note that if you extend the lifespan of the worm at
the expense of reproduction then CR may result in fewer worms for fishing. :-)
CR has been shown to work with Drosophila and Steve Austad has done it
with spiders showing this isn't just a mammalian phonomena.  The experiments
with insects/annelids do point out that CR does not have its primary
impact on lifespan by reducing the temperature of the organism.

--
Robert Bradbury			uunet!sftwks!bradbury

Death is an imposition on the human race, and no longer acceptable
				Alan Harrington, The Immortalist (1969)