Evolutionary necessity of senescence?

Randall Tyers tyersome at toxic
Wed Feb 17 17:19:22 EST 1993

With respect to the original posting which mentioned free-radicals as a
by-product of metabolism and leading to unavoidable deterioration:
I recently saw a ?Dec'92? issue of Science on NO (nitrous oxide).  In
one of the articles it discussed NO (a free radical) as an essential
signalling molecule within ?vertebrates? and also mentioned the
possibility that CO and other gasses may be involved in signal
transduction.  This would indicate that there is a constant and
essential (without a heroic {maybe impossible} engineering effort)
production of toxins within our bodies.  This seems to reinforce the
general idea that we die because it is more advantageous to put energy
into reproduction than a (futile) attempt to reverse 'ageing' processes.

Randall Tyers