Ageing in yeast

Sydney Shall bafa1 at central.sussex.ac.uk
Thu May 27 09:01:25 EST 1993

			Ageing in Yeast.

	Michal Jazwinski, in a very interesting talk at the 1992 Annual
Meeting of the American Association for the Advancement of Science in
Chigaco Il., which has been published in the American Society of
Microbiology News for April, discusses his work on Ageing in Yeast.

  	I was particularly intrigued by his description that individual
yeast cells age, but that the culture as a whole does not. This means
that yeast cell cultures are truly immortal; as they must be since they
are unicellular organisms. Jaswinzki then draws attention to the
contrast with mammalian cell cultures, in which the culture as a whole
will undergo "senescence".  I wonder then whether most unicellular
organisms will be found to follow the yeast pattern, with metazoan
organisms being more like the mammalian cell cultures. I wonder whether
there is yet data available to enlighten us on this.

Sydney SHALL,
Laboratory of Cell and Molecular Biology,
Biology Building,
University of Sussex,
Brighton,
East Sussex BN1 9QG,
ENGLAND.

Telephone: +44.273.67.83.03

FAX: +44.273.67.83.33

E-Mail:

	Janet:		BAFA1 at uk.ac.sussex.central

	Elsewhere:	BAFA1 at central.sussex.ac.uk

	EARN/BITNET:	BAFA1%sussex.central at ukacrl