Ageing in yeast

Dr Jim Cummins cummins at CSUVAX1.MURDOCH.EDU.AU
Thu May 27 19:33:35 EST 1993

There's currently a lot of interest in the role of mitochondrial DNA
deletions in ageing phenomena.  mtDNA deletions occur much faster than in
somatic DNA (in eukaryotic organisms) and accumulate preferentially in
postmitotic cells such as muscle and brain.  The end result is disorded
oxidative phosphorylation and spin-off of free radicals.  It's possible
that individual yeast cells might age but the colony as a whole survives
through mitosis and the selective elimination of cells with defective
mitochondria?  Just one idea.

Jim Cummins
Murdoch University
Western Australia