Definition of "Ageing"

Oliver Bogler obogler at ucsd.edu
Thu Mar 3 12:35:38 EST 1994

In article <CLp1vJ.BpG at watserv2.uwaterloo.ca>, gobbi at healthy.uwaterloo.ca
(gobbi sebastiao) wrote:

> Personally, I like the definition expressed by King (1988) : Aging is
> defined as a genetic physiological process associated with morphological
> and functional changes in cellular and extracellular components
> aggravated by injury troughout life and resulting in a progressive
> imbalance of the control regulatory systems of the organism, including
> hormonal, autocrine, neuroendocrine and immune homeostatic mechanisms.
>
> King, D.W. (1988) Pathology and aging. In: Kent, B. & Butler, R. (Eds),
> Human Aging Research : concepts and techniques, pp.325 - 340, New York,
> NY: Raven Press.

But see also C.E. Finch in his book "Longevity, Senescence and the Genome"
- he avoids using the term ageing altogether because of it's negative
connotation. Instead he discusses age-related changes in a wide variety of
organisms - and clearly makes the point that "ageing" is a very different
experience for organisms with different life histories.

Oliver Bogler
obogler at ucsd.edu