Melatonin questions

Sunil Khemaney syama at delphi.com
Thu Aug 24 05:20:39 EST 1995

We read with great interest the Newsweek article on melatonin.
We also read a posting that an author on a book about melatonin
had written indicating that in autoimmune illnesses, the immune
system is not well regulated and since there have not been
extensive studies done on humans, he included a caution in his
book for people with autoimmune problems.  In the Newsweek
article, there was the statement that recent studies suggest that
melatonin may boost the immune system and we're wondering why
there might be this apparent contradiction?

Also, we are wondering whether people with allergies and/or
chemical sensitivities would be considered to be people with
autoimmune illnesses?

Would you recommend melatonin for someone who has had a thyroid
nodule in the past and has some present symptoms of
hypothyroidism but according to blood tests is actually euthyroid
at this time?

Is there any relationship between taking melatonin and the
cancer, melanoma?

Any help is much appreciated.  Thank you.