Attitudes to life extension via genetic engineering

Rick Abrams ricka at
Wed Feb 22 17:34:06 EST 1995

In article <Pine.SOL.3.91.950217144858.608A-100000 at corona>,
Patrick O'Neil  <patrick at corona> wrote:
>On Fri, 17 Feb 1995, Eugen Leitl wrote:
>> There can't be any crash since the hardware is very special and has only
>> a "Virtual Machine"/Soft Circuit layer: no software, it's all
>> architecture, running a special data structure (me).
>No, it would NOT be you.  It would be a machine programed to simulate
>you.  You would be dead and a poor "copy" of you would be used to animate
>a machine.  You are nontransferable.  You cannot be conscious in your
>body one moment, imprint a copy of your personality, etc, on an inanimate
>matrix, and then, viola, be conscious as YOURSELF in a machine.  You ARE
>inseperable from your biochemistry and evolution.  You are NOT a movable
>entity or program that only coincidently presently occupies your
>biological ARE your body.

Okay, if your posts are an honest statement of what you believe,
then act, for yourself only, on those beliefs. But don't forbid
me to act in a way I feel proper.

If you think you know the future will be limited just as you
indicate, fine, don't do anything to extend your life. I
appreciate all voluntary reductions of population growth.