Alzheimer's Disease: A Treatment Strategy

HATANPAA at DELPHI.COM HATANPAA at news.delphi.com
Tue Jan 24 19:10:12 EST 1995

Look at the affiliations listed under the names of the authors.
If you don't see the drug company there, look at the fine print
on the first and last pages of the paper. For example, the big
study published in Neurology (Nov 41(11):1726, 1991) has a
fine print at the bottom of its title page: "Supported in part by
Sigma-Tau, Pomeza, Rome". Sigma-Tau has the patent for
acetylcarnitine.

Most drug studies are sponsored by some drug company.
This is not a problem, as long as ethical guidelines are
followed. I think they usually are. I don't believe any data was
fabricated. I guess I just wanted to say that what works well in
Italy might not work as well in the U.S.. For example, people
in Italy don't eat as much meat and animal products, which
are the dietary sources of carnitine. That may explain why
acetylcarnitine works better there.

By the way, I would include postmenopausal estrogen-
progesterone therapy for all women in my list of ways to
reduce the risk of AD. I would put it first, actually.

Kimmo Hatanpaa, M.D.