free radicals do not cause ageing.

Dr Jim Cummins cummins at POSSUM.MURDOCH.EDU.AU
Wed Jan 25 22:55:49 EST 1995

You wrote:

>   Don't confuse the experimental difficulties and the limitations
>of ( e.g., ) antioxidant supplimentation with evidence against
>a role for free radiacals in aging.  We may be looking at the wrong
>thing.  E.g., antioxidants may not work in mitochondrial radical-induced aging.
>After over 25 years of research in this area, I still get
>suprised.  Look at PBN-- It seems to derive its antiaging activity
>from * production * of a free radical, nitric oxide ( according
>Cutlers group at NIH ).

Do you have references for this, please?  I agree with your point on the
paradoxical effects of free radicals: in my own area for example (sperm
function) H2O2 is highly toxic to sperm but at very low levels is now seen
as a central messenger in the acrosome reaction-essential for
fertilization.  I can supply refs if people are interested (not really
relevant to this list).

Yours, virtually:-

Jim "Spermatology rules o~ o~ o~ o~" Cummins

Associate Professor in Veterinary Anatomy
Murdoch University,
Murdoch Western Australia 6150
Tel +61-9-360 2668
Fax +61-9-310 4144