Free Radicals, more constraints

Edward Krug kruged at ESSEX.HSC.COLORADO.EDU
Tue Jan 31 01:05:56 EST 1995

On 30 Jan 1995, Michael J. Conboy put forward the question of whether
cells actually need and/or use free radicals, and that they are not be
eliminated at all cost. (my gross editing, ed).

Much of the biochemistry of life consists of passing along unpaired
electrons, involving everything from the killing of microorganisms to
basic mitochondrial function.  By definition, "a Free Radical is any
molecule that has an odd number of electrons".	I pulled some journal
review articles on free radicals and shocked myself at seeing how many
normal metabolic processes generate free radicals.  I had thought that
talking about free radicals in general terms was too symplistic, but fear
that it is even worse than that.  The number and types of free radical
sources and they diversity of damages they can generate are
sufficiently large that a shopping list of antioxidants need be
generated.  One article pointed out that some scavangers at higher
concentrations can affect the normal enzymes (CuZn-superoxide
dismutase, and a number of other enzymes) used to scavange
hydrogen peroxide or the O2- radical.  It can be possible to have too
much of some of the antioxiedes, so I suspect that the shopping list of
antioxidants need include some form of a "minimum daily requirement"
indication, and probably a maximum as well.  This list will have to be a
living list, growing as more is discovered, such as the agents used to
inhibit non-enzymatic addition of sugars to lipids and proteins in the
process of "browning" or non-enzymatic glycalation.  This is the source
of much of the tissue damage occuring in diabetics, and possibly the lack
of this type of damage in the caloric restricted diets may contribute to
the diets success.

Conclusion??  Does anyone know if a list of recomended antioxidants with
doses which goes beyond the simple list, to include such things as
aminoguanidine hydrochloride (25 mg/mk, New Eng. J. of Med, 1988, vol
318, pp 1315-1321)?

Edward C. Krug Ph.D.  E-mail= kruged at essex.hsc.colorado.edu
303-270-7234 (vox), 303-270-8681 (fax) Univ. of Colorado Med. School