Lectures on Gerontology and Longevity Research

Leonid A.Gavrilov gavrilov at ilr.rc.ac.ru
Tue Jul 11 11:51:46 EST 1995

Dear Colleagues,

   On August-September, 1995  Dr.Natalia S.Gavrilova, Ph.D. and myself
will be travelling across the Europe (The Netherlands, Belgium, France,
Great Britain, etc.) giving lectures and seminars based on our research
work.

   The purpose of these seminars is to establish scientific collaboration
and to collect funds for establishing the Institute for Longevity Research
in Moscow (the first gerontological institute in the history of Russia !).

   Now we are forming the schedule of our visits and seminars and we would
be happy to consider any invitations and suggestions in this direction.

   We already had very positive experience with our lectures in Germany,
France, United Kingdom and USA. Our lectures are based on the recent
progress in our research work and our book:

          THE BIOLOGY OF LIFE SPAN: A QUANTITATIVE APPROACH

that received a lot of positive reviews in the leading scientific
journals by the leading gerontologists (see attachment printed below).

   Sincerely yours,

   Dr.Leonid A.Gavrilov, Ph.D.
   Member of the Council of Russian Gerontological Society

P.S.: Recommendations of our lectures based on our book are printed below.

"HIGHLY RECOMMENDED FOR STIMULATING FRESH APPROACHES ... " -
Professor Roy L.Walford, M.D., UCLA School of Medicine, USA.
   THE GERONTOLOGIST, 1991, vol.31, No.5, p.707.

"CLEARLY,  THIS   IS   A   VERY   INTERESTING,   PROVOCATIVE   AND
THOUGHT-PROVOKING BOOK" - Dr. Ward  Dean,  M.D.,  The  Center  for
Bio-Gerontology,  Pencasola,  Florida,  USA.
   EXPERIMENTAL GERONTOLOGY, 1992, vol.27, No.2, pp.251-253.

"THIS IS  AN  INTERESTING  BOOK,  FULL  OF  TABLES  AND  DATA  AND
POLEMICAL IN ITS APPROACH." - Professor William A.Pryor,  Director
of Biodynamic Institute, Louisiana State University, Baton  Rouge,
LA,USA.
   FREE RADICAL BIOLOGY & MEDICINE, 1992, vol.12, pp.331-332.

"IT BRINGS TO BEAR A FRESH  APPROACH  WHOSE  IDEAS  ARE  LOGICALLY
PRESENTED AND DEVELOPED". - Dr. Brian Merry, Ph.D., Institute  of
Human  Aging, University of Liverpool, United Kingdom.
   AGEING AND SOCIETY, 1991, vol.11, No.4, pp.509-510.

"GOOD NEW BOOK ON AGEING". - Dr. Thomas B.L.Kirkwood, Ph.D.
Head of the Laboratory of Mathematical Biology, National
Institute for Medical Research, London, United Kingdom.
   NATURE, 1991, vol.352, 29 August, pp.767-768.

"... SHOULD BE READ BY ANYONE SERIOUSLY INTERESTED IN AGEING.  ...
YOU WILL FIND THIS A SURPRISINGLY GOOD  'READ',  AND  A  MUST  FOR
EVERY  LIBRARY".  -  Dr.   D.Sebastian   Fairweather,   Physician,
   Department of Geriatric Medicine, Oxford, United Kingdom.
   AGE AND AGEING, 1992, vol.21, No.5, pp.386-387.

"THE BOOK FEATURES QUITE A BIT OF DEMOGRAPHIC THEORY AND ANALYSIS.
... IT IS REFRESHING"  -  Professor Michael R.Rose, University  of
   California, Irvine, USA.
   ANNALS OF HUMAN BIOLOGY, 1992, vol.19, No.3, pp.320-321.

"THE GAVRILOVS HAVE MADE A VALUABLE CONTRIBUTION TO THE  STUDY  OF
LIFE SPAN, AND ANY FUTURE WORK ON THE SUBJECT WILL  HAVE  TO  TAKE
ACCOUNT OF THE RICH CONTENTS OF THIS BOOK". - Dr. Vaino Kannisto,
Former United Nations Adviser on Demography
   POPULATION STUDIES, 1992, vol.46, No.2, pp. 366-367.

"EIN AKTUELLES BUCH, DAS SICHERLICH DIE INTERNATIONALE
DISKUSSION DES PROBLEMS BEFORDERN KANN."
 - Prof. Dr. Ingeborg Falck, Berlin, Germany.
   ZEITSCHRIFT FUR GERONTOLOGIE, 1991, Band 25, Heft 1, S.56.

"THE BOOK IS WELL WRITTEN, EASY TO READ, AND SHOULD BE OF INTEREST
TO A WIDE SPECTRUM OF READERS  INCLUDING  PHYSICIANS,  BIOLOGISTS,
BIOCHEMISTS, GERONTOLOGISTS..."
 - Prof. Robert W.Gracy, University of North Texas, USA.
   EDUCATIONAL GERONTOLOGY, 1993, vol.19, No.1, pp.92-93.

"...  THIS  BOOK  IS  A  HIGHLY  VALUABLE  CONTRIBUTION   TO   THE
DISCIPLINE. ...THIS BOOK SHOULD MAKE  SCIENTISTS  TAKE  NOTICE  OF
RESEARCH ON AGING AND LONGEVITY ... IN THE FORMER SOVIET UNION" -
    Dr.  S.Jay Olshansky, Ph.D., University of Chicago, USA
POPULATION AND DEVELOPMENT REVIEW, 1992, vol.18, No.3, pp.555-558.

"... MANY WILL FIND AN EXCURSION INTO IT STIMULATING".
 - Dr. Emily Grundy, Lecturer in Gerontology, Age Concern
   Institute of Gerontology, King's College, London, UK.
   BRITISH MEDICAL JOURNAL, 1992, vol.305, No.6850, p.431.

"GAVRILOV MAKES THE BEST ATTEMPT I KNOW OF TO DISTINGUISH HOW LONG
PEOPLE COULD LIVE FROM HOW LONG THEY ACTUALLY LIVE -  ONE  OF  THE
MORE DIFFICULT TASKS FOR BOTH BIOLOGY AND STATISTICS... GAVRILOV'S
SCHOLARSHIP  IS   IMPRESSIVE".   -   Professor   Nathan   Keyfitz,
   International   Institute   for   Applied   Systems   Analysis,
   Laxenburg, Austria.
   MATHEMATICAL POPULATION STUDIES, 1991, vol.3, No.2, p.161.

"LEONID  GAVRILOV   IS   A   TOP-FLIGHT   STATISTICAL   POPULATION
BIOLOGIST... THE AREA IS IMPORTANT WELL  BEYOND  THE  CONFINES  OF
BIOLOGICAL  GERONTOLOGY  AND  EXTENDS  INTO  POLITICS  AND  SOCIAL
PLANNING. GAVRILOV IS VERY GOOD ON JUST THIS SORT OF THING. HE HAS
A FRESH APPROACH, NEW IDEAS, A GREAT  DEAL  OF  DATA  NOT  READILY
AVAILABLE ELSEWHERE." - Roy. L. Walford, Professor  of  Pathology,
   UCLA School of Medicine, USA.
   MATHEMATICAL POPULATION STUDIES, 1991, vol.3, No.2, p.161.

"THIS  BOOK  IS  DIRECTED   TOWARD   RESEARCHERS   INTERESTED   IN
STATISTICAL PATTERNS AND MATHEMATICAL MODELS OF HUMAN  LIFE  SPAN.
FOR STUDENTS WITHIN THIS  DEFINED  AREA  OF  RESEARCH,  THIS  TEXT
OFFERS A GOOD HISTORICAL PERSPECTIVE,  INSIGHT  INTO  THE  RUSSIAN
LITERATURE, AND INSIGHT INTO THE  QUANTITATIVE  ANALYSIS  OF  LIFE
SPAN"   -   Dr.  Deborah  A.Roach,  Department  of  Zoology,
    Duke University, Durham, USA.
    ECOLOGY, 1992, vol.73, No.1, pp.379-381.

"THIS BOOK IS IN ESSENCE A BIOSTATISTICAL ANALYSIS OF THE PROBLEMS
OF  LIFESPAN,  HUMAN  AND  ANIMAL.  ...  THE  LITERATURE  IN  MANY
LANGUAGES HAD CLEARLY BEEN WELL COVERED, AND MUCH HAS BEEN MADE OF
NATIONAL AND OTHER MORTALITY STATISTICS IN  THIS  CENTURY.  ...
A USEFUL SOURCE BOOK." - Dr. F.I.Caird, D.M., F.R.C.P.,  Professor
   of Geriatric Medicine, Southern General Hospital, Glasgow, UK.
   J. OF CLINICAL AND EXPERIMENTAL GERONTOLOGY, 1992, vol.14,
   No. 3 & 4, p.309.

"THIS INTELLIGENT AND THOUGHT PROVOKING BOOK SHOULD BE READ WIDELY"
  -  Dr. Suresh I.S.Rattan,  Ph.D., Laboratory of Cellular Ageing,
   Aarhus University, Denmark.
   INDIAN JOURNAL OF EXPERIMENTAL BIOLOGY, 1993, vol.31, p.499-500.

"... THE READER WILL BENEFIT ENORMOUSLY  FROM  THE  BROADENING  OF
PERSPECTIVE AS A RESULT OF EXPOSURE TO THE GAVRILOVS' THEORIES  ON
THE BIOLOGY OF LIFE SPAN"    -   Dr. M. Michael  Akiyama,
   University of Michigan, Dearborn, USA.
   HUMAN BIOLOGY, 1992, vol.64, No.4, pp.630-632.

"THIS IS A PROVOCATIVE AND REFRESHING BOOK" - Dr.Alan R.Hipkiss,
   Age Concern Institute of Gerontology, King's College London, UK.
 INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF GERIATRIC PSYCHIATRY, 1992, vol.7,No.8,p.614.

"THIS BOOK SHOULD  BE  READ  BY  ALL  MEMBERS  OF  THE  PROFESSION
INTERESTED IN MORTALITY - WHICH  SHOULD  BE  ALL  MEMBERS  OF  THE
PROFESSION" -  Dr. H.A.R.Barnett, Institute of Actuaries, UK.
 J.OF THE INSTITUTE OF ACTUARIES, 1992, vol.119, Part II, pp.379-381.

"TO SUM UP, THE BOOK IS SUBSTANTIAL, INTERESTING AND BRINGS  FRESH
AIR. WE CAN CONFIDENTLY COMMEND ITS STUDY TO ALL SCIENTISTS ... "
   - Dr. Janos Izsak, Department of Zoology, Berzsenyi Teachers'
   College, Szombathely, Hungary.
ARCHIVES OF GERONTOLOGY AND GERIATRICS, 1992, vol.15, No.2,pp.192-194.

"A GENERAL THEORY OF LIFESPAN IS THUS CREATED." -
 - Dr. Norman Vetter, University Hospital of Wales, Cardiff, UK.
J.OF EPIDEMIOLOGY & COMMUNITY HEALTH, 1992, vol.46, No.6, p.630.

"I FOUND IT TO BE HIGHLY REWARDING READING." -
   Dr. Edward J.Masoro, University of Texas Health Science Center.
   QUARTERLY REVIEW OF BIOLOGY, 1993, vol.68, p.92.

"THIS ... IS AN EXCELLENT BOOK. ... NOBODY INTERESTED IN AGING SHOULD
FAIL TO READ". -
   Dr. C.S.Downes, Department of Zoology, University of Cambridge, UK.
   BIOESSAYS, 1993, vol.15, No.5, pp.359-362.

"...PROVOCATIVE AND ENTERTAINING READING AND CAN BE RECOMMENDED TO
ANYONE WITH AN INTEREST IN BIOLOGICAL AGING." -
   Dr. Douglas E.Crews, Department of Anthropology, Ohio State
   University, USA
   JOURNAL OF CROSS-CULTURAL GERONTOLOGY, 1993, vol.8, No.3, pp.281-290.

"IT DESERVES TO BE READ WIDELY. SCIENTISTS AND PHYSICIANS WHO ARE
INTERESTED IN THE AGING OF POPULATIONS OR OF INDIVIDUALS WILL BE MUCH
MORE EFFECTIVE IN THEIR WORK IF THEY BECOME FAMILIAR WITH THE SUBJECT
MATTER OF THIS BOOK." -
    JOURNAL OF ORTHOMOLECULAR MEDICINE, 1993, vol.8, No.1, pp.59-60.