deletions in MtDNA

Dr Jim Cummins cummins at POSSUM.MURDOCH.EDU.AU
Wed Mar 1 19:48:58 EST 1995

Hi:  J.Harvey at wrote
>Anyone out there working on deletions in MtDNA?

Yes, we are interested in mtDNA deletions as possible cause of male
infertility: some forms of which present as premature ageing of the testis.
See our recent review in Molecular Reproduction and Development 1994 37:
345-362.   I'd be happy to continue to share ideas.

>I've got a question concerning the direct repeats flanking the
>regions that get deleted.

My understanding is that the major deletions occur in regions of tandem
repeats that cause slipped-strand misrepair during replication.  See
Corral-Debrinski et al J A Med Assoc 266: 7952-6.  However, I'm open to
alternative suggestions.

Yours, virtually:-

Jim "Spermatology rules o~ o~ o~ o~" Cummins

Associate Professor in Veterinary Anatomy
Murdoch University,
Murdoch Western Australia 6150
Tel +61-9-360 2668
Fax +61-9-310 4144