Coles and Harris' CoQ10 Study (was Re: A4M Discussion)

Brian Rauchfuss - PCD brauchfu at fiw149.fm.intel.com
Wed Mar 1 14:48:14 EST 1995

In article <D4pwD5.1tp at midway.uchicago.edu>,
Brian Manning Delaney <bmdelane at midway.uchicago.edu> wrote:

:diff. levels of activity seen between the two groups. But my main
:point was that "youthification" may not always mean a longer life
:span, in part because the symptoms of aging could be protective in
:some way. Ex: some (but not all) studies have shown declining levels
:of CoQ w/age in rats. Maybe the slower metabolism this produces
:actually slows aging (lower consequent rate of free-rad. production,
:etc.).

If this was true then the CoQ rats should have had a shorter maximum
life-span than the controls, but they did not (I gather from your
report).  Since the CoQ rats had a longer average life-span, but the
same maximum, it sounds like CoQ is all positive in regards to preventing
early death, but does not effect the overall life-limiting mechanisms.