Vitality Retained W/ 'Immortality'

Don Ashley dashley at TENET.EDU
Fri Mar 3 20:07:06 EST 1995

The concept is that, with perpetuation of cell division, aging stops.  In
other words, we get old because the cells gradually stop reproducing.
This is thought to be a congenital condition programmed by DNA.

With breakthrough in genetic research, the program can be changed so that
the cells can reproduce indefinitely like cancer cells do.  Cancer cells
have the telomerase enzyme that allows perpetuation.  If telomerase can
be manipulated into healthy  cells, we might get a few hundred extra years.

So goes today's concept.  Even a remote possibility gives motivation to
drive even more safely than previously and to take care of the body we
have.