Young/Old Cells, What Changes?

kgpl at uno.edu kgpl at uno.edu
Sun Mar 5 05:28:14 EST 1995

I just looked in on this group.  A lot of it is very interesting, though
there is a bit too much "social consequences of ageing" and not enough
"molecular biology of ageing" for my taste.  Still...  I want to throw
out a stupid question here.  Assuming that this sort of thing has ever
been done, let's say you take a skin (or whatever) cell from a young
rat (or human) then wait a few years and take another from the same
subject.  When you put the two cells under a microscope, or do other
similarly informative biology things with it, what's the difference?
Is ageing something that takes place at the cellular level all over
your body, or are there a small number of localized changes that throw
everything out of kilter?  For example, if a young person needs an organ
replacement, and gets a doner organ from an old person, does the organ
"become young" again in the young person, or does it stay old and not
last very long?  And is this true of every kind of organ replacement?
Best to stop here.  I can think up a lot of questions like this, but I'm
already annoying enough as it is.  No reason to push it. :0

Whoops!  Make that emoticon a ":)", My fingers are getting old and
I don't type so good anymore.

Kevin