Stop The Research: #17 Illusion Theory

Don Ashley dashley at TENET.EDU
Sun Mar 5 22:08:29 EST 1995

Rational or not, the following theory is subscribed to by millions of
voters who have influence on congressional decision makers.

A spokesperson for a certain religious group explained that there is no
need to spend money on 'immortality' research, or longevity, or life
extension, or any other medical treatments for any physiological effects
at all.

'Mortality and material are not real to begin with.  We are experiencing
an illusion which is separation from God.  In other words, our bodies and
our automobiles are only illusions.  Physical birth, death, activities,
emotions, events don't exist.  Therefore it is pointless to discuss
research for health.'

It is not pointless, however, to discuss this system of logic.  Creative
communication with this belief/attitude is imperative.  Dismissing
several million voters is questionable. The challenge is present for
proponents of life extension.