Attitudes to life extension via genetic engineering

John de Rivaz John at
Mon Mar 6 02:50:40 EST 1995

In article: <pete.794186610 at extro>  Peter Merel <pete at>
> I think that this is a desirable course in the short-term; the only
> ethical way to do it, I think, is to modify human fertility. Not to
> sterilize humanity as some have suggested here, but to reduce its
> fertility to manageable levels.  We could perhaps modify Patrick
> O'Neils' genocide virus to only alter human hormone levels so that no
> one would be fertile until the age of 30, and so that no one would be
> fertile after the age of 40. Of course the real problem with this is
> not how to engineer it, but how to introduce it without getting lynched
> by religious fundamentalists ...

I have posted a response in

               * Publisher of        Longevity Report *
John de Rivaz  *                     Fractal Report   *
               *          details on request          *
**** What is the point of life if it ends in death? ****