Looking for review of "Human Biological Age Determ."

Brian Manning Delaney bmdelane at ellis.uchicago.edu
Fri Mar 17 11:30:09 EST 1995

In article <D5KDJy.4KK at midway.uchicago.edu> I
(bmdelane at midway.uchicago.edu) wrote, among other things:
>In article <pucYvA4FBh107h at chambers.ak.planet.co.nz>
>steve at chambers.ak.planet.co.nz (Steve Chambers) wrote, among other things:

>>  Practical Handbook of Human Biological Age Determination
>>  Edited by Arthur K Balin
>>  560 pages; published by CRC Press; ISBN: 0-8493-0129-7
>>
>>.  Has anyone reviewed/seen it?
>
>Is this a new edition? I saw a fairly old version of what I think is
>the same book. It was encyclopedic in a way that might not be too
>useful for most people; there was a kind of inefficiency in the
>presentation of the relevant info -- "Researchers X and Y in Japan use
>test a (long description), b (long desc.), c (l. d.), ...;" whereas W
>and V in England use only b (same long description), c (...)....

The book I was thinking of is a diff. one, by Ward Dean. One
of the editors of Dean's book thought I was being a little
unfair in my above description of the book, which, on
reflection, I think may be true.

My impression of Dean's book was that it was short on
theory, science -- kind of like a book for lab techs. But,
obviously, in conjunction w/books like Dean's _Neuroend.
Theory of Aging_, _Biol.  Age. Meas._ is the perfect
complement. I think this was probably the idea. Maybe giving
it Balin's title would have made more sense.

Look at _Neuro. The. of Aging_, along w/_Biol Aging Meas._,
and you're golden.

(As for Balin's book -- don't know.)

Here are the cites for Dean's book (both eds.):

Dean, Ward.  Biological aging measurement : clinical
applications  2nd ed.  Los Angeles, Calif. : Center for
Bio-Gerontology, c1988.
     xiv, 426 p. : ill. ; 28 cm.
     LC CALL NUMBER: QP86 .D43 1988

Dean, Ward.  Biological aging measurement : clinical
applications.  Los Angeles, CA (8760 Sunset Blvd.,
Los Angeles 90069) : Center for Bio-Gerontology, c1986.
    400 p. : ill. ; 28 cm.
      LC CALL NUMBER: QP86 .D43 1986
Brian M. Delaney <b-delaney at uchicago.edu> [DO NOT cc: articles to me.]
<bmdelane at midway.uchicago.edu> [Wrists: "Leave unambiguous typos."]
Note: All statements in this article are in jest; they are not
statements of fact. * "Mein Genie ist in meinen Nuestern." -Nietzsche.