Bacterial cell death - as programmed?

AKIM at ARSERRC.GOV AKIM at ARSERRC.GOV
Thu Mar 30 13:57:54 EST 1995

To all who interested in cell death mechanisms.
I am interested in the bacterial cell death (as a single cell rather than
population of bacteria).  Death of each cells at stationary phase is
dependent upon intrinsic factors of each individual cells as everybody
agreed.  However, my question is why a cell (to be dead) could accumulate
intrinsic factors leading to cell death and what is the intrinsic factors
causing cell death (what is a signal?).  Again, a single cell in                op
heterogeneous population at a certain growth stage can decides its fate
whether to be going to be dead or alive.  But, how?

I will appreciate any input.

Thank you.

Augustine Kim, Ph.D
e-mail : AKIM at ARSERRC.GOV