immortalized cells

Ron Blue rcb1 at LEX.LCCC.EDU
Fri Nov 10 08:45:14 EST 1995

On Thu, 9 Nov 1995, Gregory Bloom wrote:

> Recent articles here regarding the significance of the telomere
> in senescence have stated that the telomere is plenty long enough
> at death in most organisms,
Sorry but I do not remember the source, but from the reseach report
sometime in the last year immortal cell lines were given antibodies
to stop telomerase production if my memory is correct.  All
immortal cell lines died after total number of cell divisions
for that species.

I have know this for some time and have waited for someone else to
post it so I would know the source.  Ron Blue

> My question is - what makes immortalized cell lines immortal?
If you remove chromosome number one from a human cell it becomes
immortal.  Source Science (year unknow).

> Do they suffer any of the cumulative damage from oxidation?
yes if extreme
> If so, are their repair mechanisms simply revved up beyond
> normal "mortal" cells?
of course, immortal does not mean immortal.
>  If they have active telomerase, does
> the telomere simply increase without bounds, until the whole
> nucleus is swimming in a tangled web of telomere DNA?
no
> Are immortal cells truely immortal, or are they more like
> "George Washington's original axe" where the head has been
> replaced five times, and the handle six?
correct