Longevity mailing list (was: Antioxidants and Life Extension)

Gregory Bloom gjb at evolving.com
Fri Nov 10 12:19:22 EST 1995

Ron Blue wrote:

> On Fri, 10 Nov 1995, Till Noever wrote:
> > In article <Pine.SOL.3.91.951107225745.5194A-100000 at minerva>, "Paul Boduch
> > (ES 1997)" <pboduch at minerva.cis.yale.edu> wrote:
> >
> > > What exactly is the name of the newsgroup? Can't find anything under
> > > longevit.list.
> >
> > "sci.life-extension"
> HOW do you subscribe to the above if you have no newsgroup service?
> Ron Blue

There is a longevity mailing list, which varies in quality from
research announcements to MLM pill-peddling schemes, though it seems
sadly inclined more toward the latter.  I believe you can start a
subscription by sending a message to:

LISTSERV at VM.EGE.EDU.TR

that reads:

SUBSCRIBE LONGEVITY myname at mysite.com

(You must substitute your actual email address for myname at mysite.com.)

Here's the info on using their mail server:

 From: LONGEVITY Request

 Subject: You are now subscribed to the LONGEVITY list
 Sat, 26 Aug 1995 10:23:50

 Your  subscription  to  the  LONGEVITY list  (Longevity  List)  has
been
 accepted.

 Please save this message for future  reference, especially if you are
not
 familiar with LISTSERV.  This might look like a waste  of disk space
now,
 but in  6 months  you will be  glad you saved  this information  when
you
 realize that  you cannot remember what  are the lists you  are
subscribed
 to, or  what is the command  to leave the  list to avoid filling  up
your
 mailbox while you are on vacations. In fact, you should create a new
mail
 folder for subscription confirmation messages  like this one, and for
the
 "welcome  messages"  from the  list  owners  that you  will
occasionally
 receive after subscribing to a new list.

 To send  a message to  all the people  currently subscribed to  the
list,
 just send mail  to LONGEVITY at TREARN. This is called "sending  mail to
the
 list",  because you  send mail  to a  single address  and LISTSERV
makes
 copies   for  all   the  people   who  have   subscribed.  This
address
 (LONGEVITY at TREARN) is also called the  "list address". You must never
try
 to send any  command to that address,  as it would be  distributed to
all
 the  people  who have  subscribed.  All  commands  must  be sent  to
the
 "LISTSERV  address", LISTSERV at VM.EGE.EDU.TR  (or
LISTSERV at TREARN.BITNET).
 It is  very important to understand  the difference between the  two,
but
 fortunately it  is not complicated.  The LISTSERV  address is like  a
FAX
 number, and  the list address  is like a normal  phone line. If  you
make
 your FAX  call someone's regular phone  number by mistake, it  will be
an
 unpleasant experience for him but you  will probably be excused the
first
 time. If  you do it  regularly, however, he  will probably get  upset
and
 send you a nasty  complaint. It is the same with  mailing lists, with
the
 difference that  you are calling hundreds  or thousands of people  at
the
 same time, so a lot more people get annoyed if you use the wrong
number.

 You  may leave  the list  at any  time by  sending a  "SIGNOFF
LONGEVITY"
 command  to LISTSERV at VM.EGE.EDU.TR  (or LISTSERV at TREARN.BITNET).  You
can
 also tell LISTSERV how you want it to confirm the receipt of messages
you
 send to the list.  If you do not trust the system,  send a "SET
LONGEVITY
 REPRO" command and LISTSERV will send you a copy of your own messages,
so
 that you can see that the message was distributed and did not get
damaged
 on the  way. After a  while you may find  that this is  getting
annoying,
 especially if  your mail program  does not tell  you that the  message
is
 from you when it informs you that new mail has arrived from LONGEVITY.
If
 you send a "SET LONGEVITY ACK  NOREPRO" command, LISTSERV will mail you
 short acknowledgement instead, which will  look different in your
mailbox
 directory. With most mail programs you will know immediately that this
is
 an  acknowledgement  you  can  read  later. Finally,  you  can  turn
off
 acknowledgements completely with "SET LONGEVITY NOACK NOREPRO".

 Contributions sent to this list are automatically archived. You can get
 list  of the  available archive  files  by sending  an "INDEX
LONGEVITY"
 command  to LISTSERV at VM.EGE.EDU.TR  (or LISTSERV at TREARN.BITNET).  You
can
 then order these  files with a "GET LONGEVITY LOGxxxx"  command, or
using
 LISTSERV's database  search facilities.  Send an "INFO  DATABASE"
command
 for more information on the latter.

 Please note that  it is presently possible for anybody  to determine
that
 you are signed  up to the list  through the use of  the "REVIEW"
command,
 which returns the e-mail address and  name of all the subscribers. If
you
 do not want your name to be visible, just issue a "SET LONGEVITY
CONCEAL"
 command.

 More  information on  LISTSERV  commands  can be  found  in the
LISTSERV
 reference  card, which  you can  retrieve  by sending  an "INFO
REFCARD"
 command to LISTSERV at VM.EGE.EDU.TR (or LISTSERV at TREARN.BITNET).

--

Gregory Bloom  mailto:Gregory.Bloom at evolving.com  vox:303.740.5706
fax:303.740.5800  ESI, 6892 S. Yosemite Court, Englewood, CO 80111