Melatonin and the Immune System

George Kimeldorf kmldorf at utdallas.edu
Sun Nov 19 10:48:35 EST 1995

Jo Robinson (jor at teleport.com) wrote:
: 	Apart from melatonin's antioxidant prowess, another possible
: explanation for melatonin's proven anti-aging properties in rodents is
:  its complex interaction with the immune system.

My understanding is that anti-ageing properties of melatonin have only been
proven in nocturnal animals (such as mice and rats), which are active
when their melatonin levels are highest.  Am I correct?  If so, do you
know whether any experiments are underway to test the possible anti-aging
effects of melatonin on any diurnal animals?