immortalized cells

Robert Luly luly at netcom.com
Tue Nov 21 13:37:08 EST 1995

John de Rivaz <John at longevb.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>I wonder whether all this about making cells immortal is a red herring.

>What I should have thought is needed is a way for enabling cells to be
>replaced properly in an orderly method, without the "randomisation"
>that is seen as ageing.

>If you use any analogue recording device and make copies of copies of
>copies eventually the original becommes distorted beyond recongition.
>If any of these devices made copies of mechanisms, we would find that
>the copies would be unable to function after a short number of cycles.

>That is why we copy computer programs using digital recording with crc
>checks and other methods to ensure a perfect copy each time. It is
>possible to do it. All (!) we have to do is to devise a similar method
>of making our body copy cells (and thereby all the parts and organs
>which are made of cells) better than it does now and we will live
>longer. Maybe we can't acheive immortality completely this way, but we
>could certainly eliminate agein as a cause of death.

>It is an improved copying process, not a cell immortalising process
>that is required.
Hello John. I think the cell "copy" process is quite good. I think it
is already like digital, DNA.....A with G and T with C etc.
Things do go wrong to be sure but it is remarkable how right it goes
most of the time.
Since most living things use the same copy process, yet have
*RADICALLY* differing life spans, seems to suggest some other
mechanism for ageing than a poor copy process or cell damage don't you
think?
Regards
R. Luly