Standardized Test for determining Anitoxidant Values?

Todd Warth towarth at ix.netcom.com
Tue Nov 21 18:57:12 EST 1995

Is there a standardized test, generally recognized as reliable, for
determining the antioxidant potential of a given substance?  At least
one post indicated that melatonin was a far more potent
antioxidant than Vitamin E, and I recall reading (many years ago) that
trace levels of bioavailable selenium were _dramatically_ more effective
as an antioxidant than Vitamin E.

There are hundreds of antioxidants used in manufacturing and food
processing.  Can anyone point me to a reference that quantifies the
potency of these antioxidants in biological systems, and perhaps
discusses the synergy aspect to boot?

Thanks in advance,

TW