Antioxidant Recipe?

Jo Robinson jor at teleport.com
Thu Nov 23 13:16:33 EST 1995

DocCLIPPER (docclipper at aol.com) wrote:
:    Here is a question that has been on my mind for a long time.  We have
: in front of us a collection of antioxidant chemicals.  Each one has
: different properties, rxn site, fat solubilities, half lifes,  and cell
: penetration.  Now how do I combine them,  what dose,  and at what 24 hour
: dosing scheme.  Has anybody addressed this issue.  I personally take alot
: of stuff.   Is it working and how can I optimize the intake.      Peter

	I can shed a small amount of light on the subject.  Antioxidants
have a synergistic relationship.  When vitamin E loses an electron in its
selfless crusade to rid the body of free radicals, vitamin C comes along
and magnanimously restores E's complement of electrons with one of its
own.  Vitamin C, in turn, regains its electron from endogenous antioxidants.
	Taking vitamins C and E together has been shown to allow E to
remain active for a longer period of time in the brain, increasing its
neuroprotective properties.  Similarly, melatonin and vitamin E have
a synergistic relationship.  It is possible that vitamin E restores
melatonin's missing electron once it has donated one to a free radical.  It
makes sense, therefore, to take your antioxidant vitamins at the same meal,
or better yet, to divide them into equal doses and take them at each meal.
	Jo--