Melatonin and the Immune System

Robert Luly luly at
Thu Nov 23 13:21:54 EST 1995

jor at (Jo Robinson) wrote:

>mll6 at Lehigh.EDU wrote:
>: In article <Pine.SUN.3.91.951120095351.22683H-100000 at>, jor at TE
>: LEPORT.COM (Jo Robinson) writes:
>: >On Mon, 20 Nov 1995, Ron Blue wrote:
>: >
>: >>
>: >fields on melatonin production in humans. THere is growing evidence that
>: > EMFs in the 50-60
>: >hertz zone depress melatonin levels.
>: Just wondering..what types of waves does that correspond with..Tv/Radio?
>: Computer monitors?

>	All of the appliances that you plug into the wall operate in
>that frequency.  They differ, however, in the strength of the fields, which
>are measured in milligauss.  The higher the milligauss, the researchers
>are speculating, the more probable the negative health effects.
>Chief offenders are appliances with electric motors (analog clocks, power
>tools, hair dryers), transformers (those innocent looking black boxes on
>the end of the power cord), and any electrical device that is in close
>proximity to your body such as electric blankets, electric shavers, and
>hair dryers.
>	Jo

>|       Jo Robinson		    |            jor at             |
>|      (503)284-4676                |     2826 NE 18th Portland, OR 97212     |
Hello Jo and others:
There is also a "growing body of evidence" that power line frequency
emf's don't do any thing (Frontline June 95) . Most of the work that
shows correlation between emf's and any negative health effects cannot
be duplicated. I am really against repeating "chicken little" science
reports until they are confirmed. I am all for erring on the side of
caution but this one when looked at objectively seems very weak.
My comments are out of place in a discussion on melatonin, I know, but
the "growing body of evidence" needs to be challanged.
BTWI very much appreciate and admire your well researched comments on
And no I don't work for the electric company.
I apologize if my comments offend any one. I don't mean to.