ragweed allergy & Melatonin

John Tieber jtieber at pobox.com
Sat Nov 25 08:58:08 EST 1995

In article <493c7g$v63 at dobie.loop.com>, kcarlson at loop.com (Kathy Carlson) wrote:

> Two of my local bookstores did not carry Jo's Melatonin book.  Would someone
> tell me why I should not take it if I have allergies.

SEVERE allergies, perhaps, and it sounds to me that the reason is very
precautionary ("It is always best to err on the side of caution."); i.e.
if you are prone to SEVERE allergies, maybe you'd have a severe reaction
to melatonin as well.

The excerpt below is from Melatonin FAQ at http://www.teleport.com/~jor/.

author: Russel J. Reiter, Ph.D (professor of neuroendocrinology at the
University of Texas Health Sciences Center at San Antonio. Reiter has
authored over 700 scientific papers on melatonin and made some of the most
significant discoveries in the field, including the 1993 discovery that
melatonin is the body's most potent antioxidant. Colleagues have labeled
him the "the godfather of melatonin research." )

Excerpt:

"8. Who should not take melatonin?

"It is always best to err on the side of caution. We recommend that the
following people not take melatonin at the present time,or take it only
with the advice and close supervision of a physician:

       People taking prescription steroid drugs
       Women wanting to conceive
       Pregnant women and nursing mothers
       People with severe mental illness
       People with severe allergies
       People with autoimmune diseases
       People with immune-system cancers such as leukemia and lymphoma
       Normal children of all ages "