melatonin safety

Pharmacology hubio543 at u.washington.edu
Wed Oct 11 20:38:22 EST 1995

It was not bacterial contamination that caused harmful batches of
tryptophan.  The Japanese company that produced tryptophan performed
certain genetic manipulations of the organism that they had used for a
number of years to make tryptophan.  The manipulation significantly
increased the yield of tryptophan.  However, according to the laws of
unintended consequences, a new compound was also formed.  I won't give
the chemical name, but it was subsequently identified as 'peak E'.  It
was present in VERY MINUTE quantities.  In fact, the tryptophan being
sold with peak E as a minor contaminant was very pure.  It would pass all
normal requirements for purity.

However, not long after the new batches were sold, reports of 'problems'
came in from Germany.  But the company did not believe that their product
could be defective (after all it was very pure - and the yields were
great) so they kept selling.  It was only after some excellent medical
and epidemiological sleuthing that the cause of eosinophilia-myalgia
syndrome (EMS) was discovered.  Fortunately, the sleuths worked
relatively rapidly and the defective material was withdrawn.

Of course, the FDA in its infinite wisdom banned ALL tryptophan.  DUMB!.
The cause of EMS is now known, and one can now test all trypthophan for
it, but NO - simpler for a bureaucracy to simply ban something.