An unscientific discussion on Telomeres and ageing

farmerj farmerj at byu.edu
Fri Oct 27 15:17:01 EST 1995

One of the items in this posting suggests that cell death
which is associated with loss of telomeres may not be caused by
loss of functional genes.  Although that is probably not always
true, it may be that the usual cause of cell death is only
indirectly linked to loss of genetic information.

I suspect that the usual immediate consequence of telomere loss
would be the production of chromosomal aberrations.  The loss
of a single telomere would lead to a breakage-fusion-bridge
cycle.  The loss of two telomeres simultaneously could lead to
formation of a ring chromosome or a dicentric chromosome.  All
of these aberrations would be likely to cause genetic death of
the cell, either due to aneuploidy, deficiency, duplication, or
physical prevention of mitosis by interlinked rings or
dicentrics.

I do not know the literature in this field.  Can someone
enlighten me as to whether aberrations have been shown to
increase as the average telomere length shortens?

James Farmer
Dept. of Zoology
Brigham Young University
Provo, Utah 84602, USA