DHEA effects - could calorie restriction be a factor?

Brian Rowley browley at UNIXG.UBC.CA
Sun Aug 11 18:18:09 EST 1996

Yes, it is known that DHEA administration reduces intake in rodents.
Another reference: Pasko LL, et al. Inhibition of proteinuria development
in aging Sprague-Dawley rats and C57BL/6 mice by long-term treatment with
dehydroepiandrosterone. Journal of Gerontology. 41(4):433-438, 1986.

In this study, DHEA reduced food intake by about 14%. I'm sure it must
depend on amount of DHEA given to the mice, though.

	When the mice were pair fed, the DHEA group still gained less
weight than the controls, so DHEA in mice at least does still have weight
loss properties not related to dietary restriction. It increases body
temperature in rodents for example, so they burn off more heat.

	Other possible antiobesity mechanisms exist for DHEA in rodents as
well. DHEA increases liver peroxisomes, which are fat-burning engines
(fatty acids are broken down in peroxisomes to energy rich acetyl-CoA in a
process called beta-oxidation). However, DHEA does not increase liver
peroxisomes in humans the way it does in mice, and the evidence for DHEA
fat loss effects in humans is totally shakey and contradictory.