DHEA effects - could calorie restriction be a factor?

Brian Rowley browley at UNIXG.UBC.CA
Tue Aug 13 22:43:57 EST 1996

There is a standard procedure called "pair-feeding" which is done to
compensate for things which suppress appetite, for example. If a given
amount of DHEA causes mice to eat 30% fewer calories, someone like Walford
or Weindruch would (a) find the weight of food consumed each day by the
DHEA mice (food eaten = food given - food remaining - food spilt) and (b)
feed the control mice exactly the same mass of food on a day to day basis.
In other words, restrict the control mice 30% also, by matching control
intake to DHEA intake. Mice must be of equivalent weights and age
overall.

	Incidentally, Arthur Schwartz didn't document appetite suppressant
effects of DHEA in his initial papers--as I recall he fed the mice via a
tube, so it was just pumped into their guts. -cheers