why not just stop free radicals?

Henry M. Wieman wiemanh at ma.ultranet.com
Thu Aug 15 15:33:11 EST 1996

In article <slrn4516foj.7ek.campbejr at phu989.mms.sbphrd.com>,
   campbejr at phu989.mms.sbphrd.com (John R. Campbell) wrote:
>On 13 Aug 1996 12:32:11 GMT, jmsdean at pipeline.com <jmsdean at pipeline.com>
wrote:
>>can someone please explain how free radicals are formed.  there's lots of
>>talk about the body forming free radicals when the cells use oxygen but i'm
>>not sure how this is done.
>>
>>secondly, what is the chemical structure of a free radical.
>>
>>lastly, why is stopping free radical production, as opposed to using
>>scaverngers like anti-oxidants, not a current possibility.
>
>Remember now, I a *computer* tech-weenie, and I'm dredging back almost
>25 years to the time I was in school, but, *IF* I recall aright, a
>free radical is normally a "hydroxyl".  Normally, hydroxyls hang off

The free radicals of free radical aging are free oxygen radicals, just a
charged O floating around. They are rare and hyper-reactive, hence the harm
they do. There are alos hydroxyl radicals but they are different beasts.
>		H - C - O - H
>(snip) this is methanol all right.

   	Henry M. Wieman          | "Can you answer? Yes I can!
        wiemanh at ma.ultranet.com  |  But what would be the answer,
        Call me Hank             |  To the Answer Man?"