Live shortening effects of sport

LOU PAGNUCCO lpagnucco at
Fri Feb 9 00:16:01 EST 1996

H.O.van.den.Berg at wrote:
>Hi all,
> '''
>Racing horces life years shorter than recreation horses.
>In an experiment where flies were not allowed to fly theze non-fliers
>lived up to 200 % longer than the flies that could fly freely.
>Is sport like sun beathing ?; (you look great shortly after
>but worse years after...)
>Is muscle tissue and sports activity the reason for the fact
>that women live longer ?
>And if we pay this price for sports, what sport would give
>the best physical results for the lowes oxygen price ?
I have also read a study on the longevity of olympic marathoners.
They seemed to have a lower mortality up to the ages of 55-60.
After that, they died off at a significantly higher rate than
sedentary counterparts.

A study has also been done on the life expectancy of U.S. professional
football players.  They have amazingly short life spans.  On average,
they only live to their mid-50's.

Still, I want to believe moderate exercise is beneficial.

Lou Pagnucco