Psyllium Dangers?

TexasDaddy texasdaddy at aol.com
Fri Jan 5 22:23:43 EST 1996

A VERY few individuals (usually nurses or pharmacists)  who "handle"
psyllium develop allergic reactions or sensitivities  to it.  The reaction
occurs when psyllium POWDER is advertently sniffed (i.e. BEFORE it is
mixed with water).  The reaction takes the form of seasonal rhinitis, e.g.
sneezing, watering of the eyes, coughing, wheezing, etc.  I have never
heard of a case of anaphylaxis from psyllium but I suppose it is possible.

Likewise, I have never heard of reactions to the product once it is mixed
with water.  Individuals who are alergic the power (via inhalation) have
successfully taken it orally if another person mixes it.
I have taken psyllium for years without incident.