Psyllium Dangers?

Chip Cody cody at jeol.com
Tue Jan 9 10:10:51 EST 1996

In <4crn8a$6p2 at viper.inow.com> sender at forecasts.com writes:

>boliver at Direct.CA (Bill Oliver) wrote:

>>In article <4ckq04$b41 at newsbf02.news.aol.com>, texasdaddy at aol.com (TexasDaddy) says:
>>>
>>>Here is an added thought:
>>>Psyllium does not "cause" water to be brought into the gut.  Rather it is
>>>hydrophylic, i.e. it absorbs a certain amount of the  water around it.
>>>That is what it is "supposed" to do.  Taking psyllium with minimal or no
>>>water can be bad news.  There are cases reported in the medical literature
>>>of globs of inadequately diluted psyllium or almost-dry psyllium getting
>>>stuck in the throat and ultimately causing the death of an (usually
>>>elderly) patient.

>>  How often should one use psyllium.I have heard of people using it
>>daily,weekly etc.What do you say?Also how much liquid do you mix it
>>with?
>>

>Best to generously mix psylium with water, stir well,
>and leave it in the refrigerator overnight for the water
>to soak in before use

That sounds extreme -- wouldn't it gel ?
If I recall correctly, psyllium is the active ingredient in
soluble fiber supplements / laxatives.  It is supposed to be
consumed 1-3 times a day (mixed with water and consumed immediately).
If you let it soak in water overnight, you would probably get an
unpleasant gel.