Q10 Vitamin?

Jack Challem Jack_Challem at ortel.org
Sat Jan 13 13:44:23 EST 1996

DocCLIPPER,docclipper at aol.com writes:
<<I have been doing alot of reading on the subject and now I am confused.
Is Q10 Ubiquinone synthesuzed by the body or is an essential nutrient.  I
had thought that it was coded on mitichondrial DNA and synthesized for the
mitochondrial electron transport system.  Now some people write that an
intake of Q10 is essential.  Who know out there?>>

CoQ10, also known as ubiquinone, is synthesized by the body. Levels decrease
with age, and levels are typically lower than normal in people with serious
diseases, such as cancer or heart disease. It's involved in electron
transport in the mitochondria and in activating adenosine triphosphate (ATP),
which is responsible for energy production in the mitochondria. ATP cannot
function without CoQ10. Technically, it's not considered an "essential"
nutrient because the body produces it. It most definitely is, however, an
essential substance. (It was the core of Peter's Mitchell's 1978 Nobel prize
in chemistry.) But it's fair to assume there's a wide range in how
efficiently people synthesize it. (Synthesis depends on the presence of
numerous nutrients, primarily B vitamins.) I take it. So do the folks
researching CoQ10. There's a feeling that aging results partly as a result of
a decline in CoQ10 production, the opposite of the conventional view. As a
health reporter, I found it to be the most amazing thing I've read about in
25 years.

I have a consumer (non-scientific article, but with references) on CoQ10 at
my web page. The address is http://198.107.48.104/I/Challem.html (That's a
capital "eye" in there.)

Jack Challem
Editor & Publisher
THE NUTRITION REPORTER TM newsletter

THE NUTRITION REPORTER, an independent newsletter, summarizes recent medical journal
articles on vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients. For sample issues, send $3 and a long
self-addressed envelope with 55 cents postage to The Nutrition Reporter,
PO Box 5505, Aloha OR 97006 USA. By the way...we do not sell vitamins.