Q10 Vitamin?

Katherine Tsaioun TSAIOUN_VK at MINT.HNRC.TUFTS.EDU
Fri Jan 19 18:17:16 EST 1996

Ubiquinone (Q10) is a coenzyme in electrone shuttle operations in the
mitochondria, you are right. And you are right again: it is synthesized
in the body. In fact, its name comes from the discovery that Q10 is
ubiquitous in the system. Hence, by definition, it is NOT an essential
nutrient, or vitamin for humans. People who are trying to prove that it
is a vitamin are wrong (I will not go into my suppositions as to their
reasons and motivations...).

Katherine Tsaioun

USDA Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging
at Tufts University