Learned Helplessness About Immortality (fwd)

Don Ashley dashley at TENET.EDU
Sat Mar 2 07:06:31 EST 1996

On Tue, 27 Feb 1996, Kaye Hartzler wrote:

> actually you are asking a very hard question, and I am curious why.

The question is asked because:

  	The concept of living an extra hundred years can be liberating
and exhilerating without promoting irresponsibility.  I enjoy sharing new
insights.

	The concept is reflective of a positive mental attitude and I
like to interact with others who enjoy PMA.

	Discussing anti-ageing concepts helps to break down the barriers
to progress about research in the area.  Funding from the gov't and the
private sector are severly limited due to the 'flat world' mentality that
there is no hope.  To achieve breakthoughs in science will require
significant financial support.

	Lifestyles are polluted with the notion that after age '65' there
is no reason to learn new careers or languages or avocations because we
are already 'spent' and we are hopelessly waiting out our genetically
programmed  sentence to the gallows.  Such resignation contributes to
physical and mental inactivity and lack of stimulation.

	The concept that we might get to live an extra hundred
years is more credible than eternity, which is inconceivable.

	It is fun to think of the advances in all the technologies that
we might get to experience if we stay around even 50 more years.  Look at
the advances in the last 100 years.

	It is motivating to keep our bodies and attitudes in peak condition
so that we have a better chance to be around when the breakthroughs in
anti-ageing technology occur.  Health attitudes and bodies extend lives
for a few years.  Maybe just long enough to get the advantage of the
scientific 'cure of the old age disease'.

	Taking risks in traffic is more significant when we think that we
may be risking an extra hundred years of our own lives as well as the
lives of others.

	Consuming delicious toxins that are available on every street and
in every store and restaurant may be given second thought.
Overconsumptive, lethargic lifestyles may rob us of more than we could
have ever imagined when thinking about anti-ageing possibilities.

	Pointless conflicts at home or work tend to reduce optimum
health. When thinking of life 100 years from now, the conflicts and
issues that we waste energy on today become trivial instead of paramount.

	It is a challenge to explore new concepts in a world that
promotes negativity and pessimism.